Monday, October 11, 2010

The Theory of the Mirror

            According to scientists, we are the only living creatures that are self aware; no animal that looks in the mirror would realize that it's just a reflection of it's own being(except some primates like chimpanzees).Some say that mirrors are a gateway to one's soul,and if animals according to the Bible have no soul than that only explains why they don't see themselves in the mirror(except the chimpanzees ,hmm I think Darwin had something there ).
        How often do we look in the mirror and see our real selves? We look at us everyday but when do we see beyond our faces,our body,when do we look at our soul? The scariest moment in my life was the first time that I looked in the mirror and realized that I am.... me.(funny that happened pretty late, I think I was 12-13 or so)Have I seen my soul? I don't know, but for sure it was more than just a reflection of my body.It's like an outer body experience without meditating or going into clinical death,and it provided me with the idea of individuality.I am ME.

1 comment:

  1. Actually, several animals pass the "mirror test", including some primates, dolphins, elephants and even some birds. And many scientists argue that not passing the mirror test is no proof of a lack of self-awareness, because not all animals are as visually-oriented as we humans are...

    ReplyDelete